Wednesday, June 09, 2010

I Really Do Make Things With Clay


The last week and a half has been a blur of cleaning up the ceramics studio at school.  I was beginning to wonder if I ever made things with clay but last night even though I was tired I made myself sit down and make something.  My friend  was making some cups with dimples in them and I liked them so much I stole the idea for these bowls.  I did tell her first that I was stealing the idea.  These are made out of some aged recycled clay but they still got some cracking on the dimples.  We just whipped up a new batch of recycle yesterday and I really tried to get some good plasticity going on.  I hope it worked.  I haven't tried any of the fresh stuff yet.


What I really want to make time for is some more hand built sculptures.  Here is a sneak peak of what I was starting before we got so crazy busy cleaning.  I am pretty pleased with myself for making these and I am loving how they turned out.  I am so accustomed to throwing on the wheel but I completely hand built these with slabs.  Yeah for me!  I'd like to get some more made before I head down to my month long stint at the summer arts program at Fresno State.  Well, I best be gettin' to bed.  I've got about another 500 pounds of recycled clay to mix up tomorrow.  Thank goodness I don't do it all myself!  Night, night, or good morning by the time many of you will read this.

4 comments:

FetishGhost said...

Fresno?

claydancer said...

Yesiree Bob! I am there four a whole month. I'm taking clay as a medium for sculpture and reactive sculpture. I can't wait! Not too far away from you, right? It would be fun to see your work and meet you but I'm not sure what my transportation will be like. I'm going to try to carpool or take the train.

Anonymous said...

Have a great month in Fresno, you'll love the time and experience. Great pictures on your blog.

Linda Starr said...

Have fun in Fresno; be prepared for the heat; if you get a chance go to Duncan's to see the sculptures outside the building by Stan Bitters, I did a blog post about them; you can search in the archives of my blog to find them, well worth it to see them; and go to Clay Mix say hi to Ritsuko for me; I used to get some of my clay from there. Your sneak peak looks like puzzle pieces. Can't wait for the unveiling.